Saturday, March 07, 2009

Pantone Spring '09 Colors


A year in advance, the people over at Pantone forecast what they think will be the season's biggest colors, allegedly helping guide designers when creating future lines. Though many companies will give their predictions for next year's colors, I only pay attention to Pantone's forecast (as a designer-by-day, my allegiances must lie with Pantone). I did some digging around and found this season's colors, many of which seem like surprising choices.

I've always been a fan of what Pantone is calling "Palace Blue," or any immediate cousin of that color. It strikes me as a little bold for spring, though, along with "Fucshia Red." You'll also notice two of my favorites, "Salmon Pink" and "Lucite Green," which are very similar to the coral and teal I mentioned in my last post. Inspired by "Rose Dust," I went ahead and ordered some yarn in a similar color to make some new Alexandria Legwarmers.

Questionable choices are "Super Lemon" (which would seem to loud if not tempered by more neutral tones), "Vibrant Green" (which I would argue isn't very vibrant at all), and "Slate Gray" (which seems more blue than gray). A few of these colors remind me of glazed ceramic-ware from a few decades past, and I'm not sure I'm ok with those making a comeback.

In general, I'm excited to see if these colors do indeed crop up. During a trip to H&M today at Herald Square I saw some some lucite green and fuscia red, but no strict adherence to Pantone's predictions. Download the full forecast here, or compare these to last year's colors here.

Let me know if you spot them in stores or on the streets. I'd love to finally see if blindly following Pantone is a mistake, or if they're like the Oracle at Delphi, proclaiming a fume-induced future.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails