Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Swooning Over: Bang-Bang in "The Brothers Bloom"

A month or so ago I saw the rather under-hyped movie "Brothers Bloom" and was immediately smitten: whimsical story + beautiful locations + great cast + enlightened art direction + spot-on costume design. Within that last ingredient lies my favorite character, Bang-Bang, the impeccably dressed explosives expert.As the above pictures shows, her costume palette is pretty traditional, with the creme adding a bit of depth. The subtle details in the costuming are what make each look, many of them too small to notice in the above pic. From luxurious (the Chanel half-tinted sunglasses and the red piping on the creme suit) to the casual (a black bowler hat paired with a fur jacket and the canvas Converse sneaks), each look is so rich but seems so effortless.

One of my favorite items of Bang-Bang's is the half-tinted Chanel sunglasses, and it's been a hunt to try to find myself a good-looking fake. The real ones are discontinued and were $300+ (!!!). For the non-baller, like myself, looking for a good looking fake got easier when Mrs. Lilien helpfully exposed them on her site (plus a link to snag your own pair).

I'm now determined to imitate the great Bang-Bang with my own half-tinted sunglasses. YOU should consider doing the same, but only after you've curled up with some popcorn and the movie "The Brothers Bloom".

2 comments:

Erica said...

I love it! Sometimes I think black/white/red can be too harsh or punk-ish, but after seeing "BB" I've been trying to work out in a classy way like Bang Bang.

(P.S. How come I didn't know you had a blog?)

Erica said...

I love it! Sometimes I think black/white/red can be too harsh or punk-ish, but after seeing "BB" I've been trying to work out in a classy way like Bang Bang.

(P.S. How come I didn't know you had a blog?)

Related Posts with Thumbnails