Monday, July 26, 2010

Thanks, Jane Austen

Last week I finalized the scheme for my new living room, but the bedroom was giving me some trouble. The room needed something relaxing but not too somber, colorful but not too Lisa Frank. A few days ago I found a beautiful book cover for Jane Austen's "Emma," and it all fit together. VoilĂ :
The pattern on the book works so well because the bright coral is balanced with the darker purple, all of which sits on a calming backdrop of natural linen and white. Considering the pieces I already have, it also makes sense for my bedroom: I can leave the walls white, I've got light wood and some black furniture, it's an excuse to buy anything in coral (a color I've been recently falling in love with), and the purple and white/natural is a nice variation on the lilac/blue in the neighboring living room. I'm a fool for purple, too, and though coral is pretty trendy right now, this grouping of colors isn't (which means I won't be over it in 3 months).

I can't stop drooling over this color palette :) However, my next mission is the bathroom, with its white, black, and orangy/yellow tiles...eep.

And if you're curious, here are some image credits (from left to right, top to bottom): 1. Pin-Tuck Duvet Cover and Shams, West Elm 2. "In glorious technicolor" by *raffaella 3. "Emma" by Jane Austen, White's Books 4. Crystal Votive, Anthropologie 5. "Cures for Love" by Stendhal, Penguin Books, 6. Prism Knob, Anthropologie 7. Glass Parlor Box, Urban Outfitters

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails